Meet the Maker: Sleep X
Tell us a bit about the SleepX brand and how it all got started.
SleepX is an online bedding retailer offering premium Australian made mattresses in a box and other bedding accessories. Our team has been making mattresses for over 20 years and the SleepX range incorporates the best designs and technologies we’ve come across in that time.
Essentially, we’re trying to improve the way Australians get a good night’s sleep. With a product range designed by sleep experts and convenient 4-hour delivery service, SleepX is making it easier for everyone to get the quality rest they deserve.
What makes the SleepX technology the best for support and weight distribution?
SleepX mattresses are made with a unique new material called Hygroflex.
- Hygroflex is soft and moulds to the shape of your body to support pressure points. We know how important this is and have experienced it first hand while fitting out the Villa, there were plenty of times when ‘testing out the mattresses’ took priority over unpacking more boxes!
- It is also resilient or “bouncy”, meaning it allows you to move and roll over in bed easily.
- Finally, Hygroflex is also super breathable and moisture-wicking, meaning you’ll stay cool and dry throughout the night.
SleepX mattresses combine these three key factors to deliver higher comfort levels and in turn, better sleep. Don’t just take our word for it - we have research to prove it! Last year, Hygroflex was tested by RMIT researchers and found to offer better pressure redistribution and better body heat dissipation than memory foam (found in most bed in a box mattresses).
What’s the best piece of advice you can give to someone looking to buy a new mattress?
We always recommend to research and shop for a mattress that suits your own needs. Like snowflakes, all sleepers are different! We disagree with the theory that one mattress fits all and believe you deserve to sleep on a mattress perfectly designed for you. If you share your bed with your partner, you’ll want to make sure your new mattress suits both of you. We often hear about one partner compromising to accommodate the other. Seeing as you’ll have your mattress for a decade, you should both genuinely love it. (This is why we designed the Duo range).
Can you walk us through the different levels of softness and firmness - how can someone choose what’s best for them?
Though there are general guidelines based on sleeping styles, it really comes down to personal preference. All SleepX mattresses offer plenty of support, so the different levels of firmness are there to help you find the perfect comfort factor.
In general, side sleepers require a mattress on the softer side as it will allow the hips, shoulders and other pressure points to settle comfortably. Back and stomach sleepers usually require a firmer mattress that will keep the spine in alignment.
Our Balance Medium Mattress is designed to be the perfect mix of soft comfort and firm support. It is fairly plush and would suit most side and/or mixed sleepers.
Our Restore Firm Mattress is designed for those who like to sleep on a firm foundation. We usually recommend this mattress for back and stomach sleepers, or for heavier individuals.
Finally, our Duo Mattress Range was designed for couples with different comfort preferences. You and your partner each get to choose the firmness level of your half of the bed, so you don’t need to compromise.
Again, there are no rules about what you should and shouldn’t find comfortable! You know yourself best – think about what you liked or disliked about your old mattress and choose a level of comfort you think will suit you best. And if it’s not quite right the first time around, our 120 Night Trial allows you to exchange your mattress for a different feel until you find your perfect match.
Are your mattresses eco-friendly?
To put it simply – yes! All our products are designed and made in Australia through environmentally sensitive manufacturing. The foams we use are all Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) certified. The GECA ecolabel is only awarded to products that have the highest environmental credentials and represent the leading environmentally preferable options in the marketplace.
SleepX foams are also made using Variable Pressure Foaming (VPF) technology, the world’s most advanced and environmentally friendly way to produce foam. VPF emits zero emissions into the atmosphere and is free of chemical additives traditionally used to give the foam its “open-cell” structure.
We also make sure to repurpose or recycle all returned products from our 120 Night Trial. Where possible, we donate returned and exchanged mattresses to local charities and alternatively recycle them.
There are also multiple ways to go green in your bedroom with an assortment of products to compliment your eco-friendly mattress! Find our favourites below:
- Invest in some greenery to liven up your bedroom, reduce carbon dioxide levels and levels of certain pollutants such as benzene and nitrogen dioxide. The Balcony Garden has a wide range of pots that are stunning.
- Incorporate organic and eco-friendly cotton sheets to your bed. Using eco-friendly sheets means that there were no harsh chemical coatings used, no synthetic fibres, no chlorine bleaches, and they use pollution-free oxygen whitening. Check out these sheets from Ecodownunder:
- Another eco-friendly bed sheet option is to choose organic hemp. Hemp grows rapidly, needs no pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides and modest quantities of water. Try these ones here from Biome.
- Explore a range of ethically sourced and harvested essential oil from Eco Modern Essentials. Ingredients sourced from countries where native plants and trees grow best climatically and seasonally to bring you the highest quality essential oils. The product range is paraben-free and SLS free.
- Include these Australian Made Sleep X pillows along with your mattress! They are non-allergenic and antibacterial, making for the perfect long night's sleep.
- Paint your bedroom using the water-based, low VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints from Murobond that are low in odour – great for your home environment and the global environment. These paints are formulated for maximum performance life to reduce the environmental cost of application through less frequent repainting.
- Lather up using this gorgeous Ashley & Co lotion that is eco-friendly and Certified 100% Natural by Ecocert. This means that it is without sulphates, parabens, mineral oils, colourings or synthetic fragrances.
What are the biggest trends you’re seeing when it comes to mattresses?
We’re seeing people learn more about the importance of sleep and the role it plays in leading a healthy, happy life. We also know that Australians also have less and less free time in a day and need their sleep to be of the highest quality and efficient.
This means people are doing more research into choosing the right mattress and are willing to invest in quality products that will last the distance. There is also greater demand for sustainably made products that aren’t harmful to the environment.
We try to listen to our customers’ needs so we can offer products and services that help them get the quality rest they deserve.
You can explore more of the SleepX products on their website.